John Healey MP is recruiting a Communications and Research Officer for a period of maternity cover in his constituency office.
Location: Wath-upon-Dearne, Rotherham
Salary: £20,000-£30,000, in line with IPSA pay scales
Job details: This is a fixed term, temporary contract providing maternity cover and is expected to last around nine months.
• prepare press releases, deal with media enquiries, maintain good relationships with local media, monitor media coverage
• produce content for the website, e-newsletter and social media
• produce leaflets/fliers
• research and draft responses for policy-related casework
• research and draft briefings for topical issues, speeches, broadcast interviews etc
• identify opportunities and lead on campaigns
• attend events with MP and take photographs
• maintain relevant databases
• work flexibly as part of a small team, dealing with the public and undertaking additional duties where necessary
• have experience in media/press and research work
• understand the needs of the local press/media and be able to draft press releases and online content
• have excellent IT, desktop publishing, website and new media skills
• have excellent oral and written communication skills
• be able to work well with others in a small team and work unsupervised
• work well under pressure, learn quickly and display a high degree of integrity and discretion
• be extremely well-organised and reliable
• deal courteously and competently with members of the public
• demonstrate an interest and knowledge of current affairs and UK politics
• be sympathetic to Labour Party values
• a driving licence would be desirable
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing date: 21 January 2016, 5pm. If you have not heard from us by Monday 1 February, unfortunately your application will have been unsuccessful.
Interviews: Friday 5 February at 79 High Street, Wath-upon-Dearne, Rotherham S63 7QB
Start date: Expected mid-March 2016
Application is by CV with a covering letter. The letter should give examples and evidence of your skills and experience in relation to the requirements of the job description; this should not exceed two pages.
Please also provide your current salary and the names and full details (including email) of two referees. Please also state if you do not wish your referees to be contacted before interview if you are shortlisted.
Send to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject ‘CRO APPLICATION.’